Flo Smith gives a talk on World War II at Lower Farm Primary School children
During the life of the ‘Know Your Place’ Project Jenny Cartwright was involved in many events; some of them organised as part of the Project and others where the Project was represented and promoted. These were:
- New Horizon Community Enterprise Open Day. Held at The Blakenall Village Centre on 15th January 2010. Jenny Cartwright ran an info stall to promote the ‘Know Your Place’ Project.
- The ‘Know Your Place’ Launch Event. Held at Blakenall Community Centre on 20th April 2010. This was the ‘formal’ launch of the Project. The Speaker was Stuart Williams from the Walsall Local History Centre and there were stalls from Walsall Museum, Cannock Mining Museum and Age Concern Walsall.
- Jenny Cartwright spoke on Dr Carl Chinn’s BBC WM Radio programme, 16th May 2010. Dr Chinn kindly invited Jenny to talk about the Project on this popular local radio history programme.
- Life Story Workshops 23rd & 30th June 2010: these two linked workshops, delivered by Vicky Rimmer of the Walsall Local History Centre, gave participants the opportunity to discuss the importance of life stories to local history and the different ways of presenting them.
- Reminiscence Session at Mattesley Court Day Centre on 4th August 2010. Jenny Cartwright delivered this session to the users of this day centre using old photographs to encourage discussions. With the help of the Centre Manager Joy Sumner and her staff, Jenny heard many interesting stories about the centre users childhood, school days, early working life and Second World War memories.
- Reminiscence Session at the Link Line Lunch Club at Christ Church in Blakenall on 20th August 2010. Jenny Cartwright talked to the users of this lunch club using many of the photographs collected as part of the Project. The session went very well provoking lots of discussions about their memories of Blakenall.
- Visit to Lower Farm JMI School on 21st October 2010. Jenny Cartwright organised for 4 members of the Local Community 50+ Forum to go along to Lower Farm to speak to children in years 7/8 about their memories of growing up in the area during the Second World War. The children study this period as part of the National Curriculum.
- “A Blakenall Eye” 29th October & 12th November 2010. Stuart Williams from Walsall Local History Centre led these linked workshops about the importance of photography to local history. Part of these sessions included a local group ‘walkabout’ to take photographs of local buildings.
- Visit to Blakenall Heath Junior School, 2nd December 2010. Jenny arranged for 3 older members of the community to visit the school to talk about their memories of attending the school during the Second World War.
- ‘Blakenall Memories’ – a photographic exhibition. 30th November 2010 at The Stan Ball Centre. Jenny asked for photographs from local people and this exhibition was the opportunity to show everyone what had been collected so far.
PROJECT PICTURES – EVENTS ETC
To view a selection of photographs relating to some of the above events, please click the following link to our Project Pictures page: Project Pictures
back to top